Wednesday

España: Days 89 & 90 (Barcelona & Madrid)

Day 89:
Today we walked along Passeig de Gràcia which is the upscale shopping street. In and out of Chanel we went then off to the huge outdoor market, St Josep La Boqueria. This is absolutely a site to see. Even if you are not shopping for meats, produce, etc. it is mind blowing how big this market is. Since dogs are not allowed past a certain point, I told Scott and Farida to walk through a bit and bring me back some watermelon. I enjoyed the people watching and once they finished, I strolled through a few aisles and found some really good dried fruit that I had bagged up! It was getting to be around lunch time and we walked through a few more areas of Barcelona before finding a nice outdoor lunch spot, Farggi plaza del Rey.

Another Gaudi building!

St Josep La Boqueria

Frutas secas (dried fruits) in La Boqueria

Streets of Barcelona (near Plaça Reial), Gothic Quarter

Coco accepting Farida 👏

Foccacia at Farggi Plaza del Rey

Sangria de cava at Farggi Plaza del Rey

The rest of the afternoon got a little  sour. We went to La Champagneria but dogs are not allowed in and you cannot bring you glass outside so Scott had to wait outside with Coco, which was quite uncomfortable or me. I really did not enjoy my time here. First, we could not figure out how to just get some damn champagne. Farida asked the guy working if he spoke English to which he replied no. A few minutes later he is speaking English! Apparently you cannot just order champagne, you have to order food as well. Well, we just ate so we do not need any more food! I went outside out of frustration and a couple minutes later when I go back in, Farida is making friends with a group of ladies. They were so kind to offer up their champagne to the 2 of us. Scott never took his turn to go in and have a drink (even though that was part of the deal!). Eventually we went back to the Airbnb and took siesta.

Scott did not want to go out to dinner with us so Farida and I decided on a place and Coco stayed home with her papa. A 10 minute taxi ride later we arrive at our destination, Vinitus. Vinitus is a cool spot for tapas and they were able to seat us immediately at the communal table. Normally I hate sitting at these types of tables but when in Rome.....or Barcelona! We sat next to these two older gentlemen who are from Argentina. One of them lives here now and the other was just visiting. They were very friendly (and not in a creepy way, thank goodness). They knew I am trying to learn Español so they said we will only talk in Español the rest of the night. It was great to practice and they helped & encouraged me. I could use more people like that! The food here was good too...

Pimiemtos at Vinitus

Tapas at Vinitus



Farida and me at Vinitus

Salmon tapa at Vinitus

Patatas bravas con aioli at Vinitus

Parxet vintage 2011 Gran Reserva cava at Vinitus

Tortilla at Vinitus (a little too egg-y for me)

Loving the cork stool at Vinitus!

Vinitus



Day 90:
Off to Madrid we go! Farida has a friend that lives here so she is staying at her place before she heads out to Paris. As we drive into Madrid I am automatically weary because it is so crowded. My first thought is, I am not going to like this city. We are only spending the night here but in 4 days we will be back. My good friend and soul sister, Gabby, gets here tomorrow and we leave for La Rioja but then we will spend 4 days here after. We check in to our hotel where Coco is very welcomed: Petit Palace Savoy Alfonso XII
In the room Coco got her own bed, bowl and Orijen food! I must admit, I took the bed and food because I figure they would not give another dog a used bed and Coco loves it.
Scott suggested we walk to the park across the street before the sun sets and I am so glad we did because all of the weariness I was feeling about this city has suddenly gone away! Parque del Retiro is a really beautiful, well kept large park. I did not get a chance to go all the way through the park but I certainly will when we go back at the end of November. In what seems to be the center of the park is a lake with small boats for rent! I am dying to row one of these little row boats. This park is very peaceful with all kinds of people watching from one of the little cafés overlooking the water. Really great vibes around here!

The good life at Petit Palace Savoy Alfonso XII Madrid


Coco feels at home!



Parque del Retiro (Park de Madrid)



Beautiful landscaping plus some fall colors at Parque del Retiro

Lake at Parque del Retiro




Back at the hotel...

Coco wants to play


Over a year ago Scott was in Madrid with a friend for a few days and they   went to some hole in the wall Mexican  place with delicious tacos. Scott checked the Internet to see if he could find them and we learn they have opened a second location which has 2 tables outside! If we are lucky, maybe one will be available at Taqueria Mi Ciudad...

Excited to be at Taqueria Mi Ciudad in Madrid!

Tinto de Verano at Taqueria Mi Ciudad

Range of sauces from mild to picante at Taqueria Mi Ciudad

Pollo, pollo y cactus! favorite? Cactus!
Proper taco names are (L to R): Tinga de Pollo, another pollo of some sort, and Nopales en Chipotle

An inspirational sign in Retiro neighborhood of Madrid.... Suerte es tener un barrio limpio
Translates to: Luck is to have a clean neighborhood !
Another translation: CLEAN UP YOUR DOGS SHIT 💩

No comments:

Post a Comment